Thursday, April 2, 2009

Depression

What is depression?
Webster has several definitions but only two fit: sadness and gloom, a period of decline in business activity and employment.
I've known the sadness and gloom for most of my life but didn't understand it to be depression until I was in my mid twenties and even now in my mid fifties I still don't understand it's hold on me. Over the years I've learned some ways to lesson the impact of depression in my life but would welcome a miracle...since this seems to be one of our family quirks and a consequence of sorts. Yes, certain anti-depressants have helped but side effects are worse. Exercise is the best anti-depressant but the required discipline is lost in depressive episodes. I wish to improve my control on depression. I wish to be a miracle.
Sad though, we are now in a period of decline in business activity and employment and that has an added impact on the sadness and gloom known as depression. The battle is on. The attacks are coming from all sides. To survive, here too, one must believe in miracles.
What is a miracle?
Webster defines such as a supernatural act or effect.
Now does one wait for such an act or effect or are there steps to render depression of soul and life less destructive until a miracle is served?

No comments:

Post a Comment