Wednesday, February 27, 2013

CoPYcAt

So,
You want a copycat,
Someone who acts like you,
Thinks like you,
Moves like you,
Is even skinny like you.
I thought you liked my way.
This way is better, you say?
"That's not the right way,"
I'd hear another day.
And "I don't like that," you'd lament,
As I'd think, "I don't want to relent!"
Then you'd decide to define,
Explaining, "this is all mine,
You're here on my time,"
You'd always say.
Never aware of my dismay.
So,
Each day I'd disappear,
And the days turned into a year,
And much more time came with much more fear.
On the outside is the shell,
The copycat you trained so well.
But the inside is dead,
While the shell is misread.
For the one you once loved,
No longer believes in that love.
All has died and turned black,
You forgot I was part of the pact.
Did you ever even want just me?
What happened to being unique?
So,
The things I do now your way,
Most of which clashed with my way.
When you cancel one,
The balance is undone.
But all this you knew.
Claiming unbalance creates anew.
While one is weak,
You take your training seat,
Breaking down the rest,
Until your copycat is confessed.
Soon,
I will be complete,
Another you is quite a feat.
Congratulations!
I'm your copycat.
 



1 comment:

  1. I wrote the original of this poem on 4-13-03. The journal it was tucked in, I just found when I cleaned off one of my many book shelves. It was interesting to reread some of those entries and the original to this poem and remember what may have prompted the words. Those of you who know me, may be trying to place my husband in the role of the 'trainer'. Maybe? Maybe not. As I edited it to post on my blog today, I was able to think of several people (both sexes) whom fit or have fit this role over the years. Maybe you know someone trying to make you disappear and mold you into .... a copy?

    ReplyDelete