Thursday, August 9, 2012

COFFEE BREAK SERIES

COFFEE BREAK #1

What a fine August morning. It's Thursday and as the weekend draws near, it will close out the annual week of the Sturgis Bike Rally 2012. My husband and I didn't go this year. Not surprising since we've never been die hard 'Sturgis or Bust' bikers.

NOT heading up to my favorite Black Hills during Sturgis week doesn't mean I miss out on that rumble that gives ya goosebumps when more than 1 Harley hits the highway. We live right off one of the routes many Sturgis bound riders take. It is a joy to sit on the front porch, like on this fine August morning, and listen to the rumbling Harley's as they ride by either to or from the rally. The more Harley's, the louder the rumble  echoing through out sandhill canyons. It has been a game this year, for my husband and I, to try and guess how many are coming down the highway based on the rumble and seeing who's right at the end of the count as they ride by.

So, here I am on one of these August mornings, listening to the Harley's rumble by and having a coffee break. Drinking my coffee out of my Harley mug and feeling anything but content or at peace. This morning the rumbles are just a background to my mind that is in over drive. I'm not sure how to quiet it. And so I try. Maybe with a coffee break.

Most days I have a coffee break alone. Didn't use to be the norm like it is now. What has changed? I miss the days living in Lincoln, NE when a day didn't go by without a coffee break, some alone but most amid friends.

One of my favorite visits would be with my friend Co, She often dropped by and we'd sit on the front porch swing, drinking coffee and talking over our active lives. Times have changed, and years later, we still get together for a coffee break but miles apart makes for infrequent gab sessions. Cell phones can link us whenever we want ... but it's just not the same.

So ... maybe I can capture the essence of those reflective coffee breaks she and I shared by blogging reflections in a coffee break series, beginning with this one. Comments are welcome. Let's talk over our active lives and maybe settle those minds that are stuck in over drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment